Photo above: Historic Yates Mill, the last remaining operating gristmill in the state. For nearly 200 years the water-powered mill produced lumber, milled corn and wheat, and carded wool and was a central place for the community to socialize. Address: 4620 Lake Wheeler Drive, Raleigh, NC http://www.wakegov.com/parks/yatesmill/Pages/default.aspx
Present day Wake County was once part of the Tuscarora nation. Wake County was formed in 1770 from parts of Cumberland County, Johnston County, and Orange County. The first courthouse was built at a village originally called Wake Courthouse, now known as Bloomsbury. In 1792, a commission was appointed to select a site to build a permanent state capital and they favored land owned by Colonel John Hinton across the Neuse River. On the night before the final vote the committee adjourned to the home of Joel Lane who must have thrown a marvelous party, for he convinced them to name Wake County in honor of Margaret Wake, wife of colonial Governor William Tryon. The city of Raleigh was named after Sir Walter Raleigh and established in 1792 on 1,000 acres purchased from Lane.
North Carolina Museum of History: 5 E Edenton St, Raleigh, NC 27601 An affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, the North Carolina Museum of History is located in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina. Admission is free!
Learn more at the NC History Project: https://northcarolinahistory.org/